Yet Another Brain Dump

I took The Citadel of Madness to the Board Game Design Guild meeting, and played it again. This  time with entirely new playtesters, so I got to see what a first time player feels again. I asked for first time players, so I am glad that I got them.

Here are my notes (*** means that I am going to do these things first)

  • Level up converters?
  • Feels slow to take one action at a time
  • Keep track of who to pay?
  • Swap white cubes for brown***
  • End score: 17-1-2-6
  • Encourage people to build more machines - how?
    • Award points for more machines? ***
  • Hiding actions in rooms failed - the game is just complex
  • Drafting one card feels lame***
    • take multiple cards as an action ***
    • pay extra to take extra cards ***
    • free cards every turn?
    • drafting (or crappy actions) yield time
  • balance energy felt more valuable than others
    • remove balance
    • balance costs 2 generic energy
  • don't make start device give specific energy
    • starting device not able to upgrade?
  • minions that can upgrade
    • auto refresh minions
  • activate all your minions as an action***
  • upgrading is luck based?
    • dice for damaging machines?
    • repair damage
    • "failure is not an option"
  • build the citadel up from the bottom
    • high rooms cost more
    • only have devices = to number of rooms built
    • rooms attach to other rooms with color scheme edges
  • energy storage caps out so that you need to spend it ***
  • repair rooms at the end of turn
  • splitting machines
I have also been involved in a 2 player board game design competition which is currently in the judging phase. There is pretty much no way that I will win, however it made me work on the game, and that alone was worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skye Frontier

More Automatown and getting ready for SaltCon

Three more playtests