- Turns are now one action each (With the exception of balancing a device, which happens as part of modifying the device)
- After players pass, the player who passed first goes first the next round.
- Get energy from the castle only at the start of each round.
- storing keeps energy between rounds.
- draft and rooms repair refill every round.
We tried out the new rules at the BGDG meeting, and it went fairly well. Here are my notes from the playtest:
- Make sure to note that Any modify requires balance
- Balance only the worst balanced device on a swap
- Using time should be a free action
- Gain access to another player's device too?
- Store energy too?
- Add energy to the castle's output too?
- Balance a device too?
- Turns are too small
- Perhaps group actions?
- Perhaps spark increases actions per turn?
- Perhaps minions left on your mat increase actions per turn?'
- Make a connection between Modify and Balance on the randomizer.
Additionally, there are better and worse flavors of infinite. The player that won had a better infinite engine than the other player. Making something that can net 1 energy of any color in 6 actions is worse than something that nets 1 energy of three different colors every action.
I think that I want to try and increase these aspects of the game even more.
- Double color cards? now that all of the effects are on the randomizer, do the cards need effects at all?
- I need to change how using another player's device works. Perhaps the player can place a pawn on the device to mark it as their own, and then activate it with a meeple. Perhaps the pawn can be moved with another use of the "mind control" ability? Now that infinite speeds matter, this might be fair.
- Do I want to limit the number of minions that can be drafted a turn? Everything else is limited
- Should the room cards replenish all the time? NO.
- Should storing stuff be time always?
- We played that creating a device created three cards of the device... is this good?
- Should players be able to pass as their action to only reset their personal stuff? That might be fun to try out.
I am really happy with how this game is working out. I hope to get it ready for a contest soon. Perhaps even this next Ion award.
I was planning on playing a 6 player game of Grab the Loot instead of The Madness Place, but we didn't have 6 extra people at the meeting, so we ended up with TMP.
Finally, I am about to retheme the game as a generic mad scientist steampunk game because it has been nearly a month, and the Foglios have not replied to my email asking for permission to use their setting.