TLDR; BGDG meeting successful
I have made some of the movies that I needed to for Cardboard Edison, however they are pretty hard to make. I don't have any skill in movie editing, or in movie filming for that matter.
At work we have been playing a lot of Bang: the dice game, which is not my favorite (even if it fixes a lot of the problems with the original Bang. I just can't get behind games with player elimination.
I went to a BGDG meetup last night, and we played Terrna League of Defense Robots. They had a lot of good feedback (which I will include here, and then sum up some ideas of ways to change it.
- Mechanic/theme disconnect: the idea with this comment was that the game feels puzzley, but should feel frantic. Build the perfect robot through engineering, when it should feel like "crap! why is aliens all over my face?!"
- Aliens are inactive: Aliens should do stuff when the come out. They just sit there.
- the aliens should deal damage to cities based on attack level: This is a possible solution to the point above - make cities that can be damaged, and then make the aliens damage them. If you lose your cities you lose the game.
- the self destruct seems too powerful: It won us the game. Perhaps it should be 3 wild instead of 6 specific parts? perhaps it should cost a lot of space? perhaps it should cost power as well?
- 5 parts of a city / map of the world: change the alien pyramid to a world map, and then you can add minis to the game - robot minis as well as alien minis.
- Associate map: Have the map parts correspond to bonus actions or actions, and then you lose abilities when the map gets damaged. Also, to perform bonus actions you have to be at the right place perhaps?
- speed: robots gotta move around the map, some could be better than others
- specific aliens go to a specific part of the map: to remove dice? (other option is dice roll to place them)
- split out a separate alien turn and make humans simultaneous: to speed up the game.
- combined attacks: having a human turn could allow humans to combine their attacks against the aliens (not sure if I love this, because it makes defeating hard aliens that much easier)
- The aliens should get the jump on humans: Face down aliens were cool - thye made the game that much more exciting. Make the aliens do stuff like that more often.
- Human turn , Alien turn, Fight: previous idea expanded - you plan out your normal actions: build, rearrange your robots, research, purchase, repair, and then commit to attack. Then the aliens throw up more aliens, and then the fight occurs. The aliens would suprise you more then.
- moving parts breaks game immersion: perhaps sharing parts should be curbed a bit, since they are being bolted onto giant robots, and that can take some time.
- more weaker monsters help make it feel more epic: make bosses and minions. minions are easy to kill, bosses are really tough.
- make aliens give damage/minions: in addition to attacking cities, the aliens can spawn minions that are easier to kill, but have to be dealt with before fighting the boss
- what if aliens are coming to earth from space?: a thematic change. Then you could go out to outer space and fight them.
Likely with all of this feedback I am going to be making some hefty changes to the game. Hopefully it ends up awesome because of that.