Another feedback braindump.

I met with Daniel Peterson (of Mayday games) to show him some of my games. He was not impressed with any of them. Though that was true, we still had an interesting conversation, and I gained some good insight into what Mayday wants. I think it increasingly unlikely that I will ever get a game published by Mayday, because I enjoy a lot more calculation, accounting, and heavy, repeated planning than they want in a game.

The biggest take home was that I should be designing games for ADHD players, and that the math and accounting all has to happen in a very subtle way to be palatable to players. That being said, I have also determined that if Berrett likes a game, then it is possible that Mayday would like it too.

Here are my notes from the meeting.

The Madness Place:
madness should be integrated into other costs
high level machines should cost more to build
all cards should be level 2, and have the ability to level up (taking actions and or cards and or something)
perhaps tech tree your actions (draft leads to minion, play card, or store energy) get all of the actions along the choice you took
remove rounds
building and combining machines is the fun part - focus on that
combine minions and time
?rock paper scissors minions?
upgrade minions to become better
make players forced to build machines, and also make all machines public
communal machines with owner advantage if the core is owned by the player.
player has four machine cores to start with, and if the opponent uses one with your core, you get the energy

Age of Vikings:
remove accounting
communal set of action cards that you can grab and hold on to.
when you take an action, you take the card.
If you take it from someone you pay them
When you take a new card, return the old one.

Micronesia:
play jump drive
skip straight into the combo building

Dancing robots:
make all info available without counting/calculation
geometric solutions?

I am probably actually going to apply the notes from Age of Vikings to Micronesia, since I am actually working on that one more right now.

In other news, I am thinking of making a game for the 2 player design competition. Perhaps you will hear about that soonish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skye Frontier

More Automatown and getting ready for SaltCon

Three more playtests