Salt Con: Aftermath

I am back from Salt Con. Here are the highlights:

I played a bunch of games which I had never played before. Here are my thoughts on them:
  • Machi Koro: This game was very similar to Settlers of Catan. It was slightly better that the aforementioned game (which I don't like very much), but not entirely horrible. There was a better ability to control your own destiny
  • Council of Verona: This game was excellent. I had read the rules before the con, and decided to play the game at the con to see how much I liked it. After having played it I bought it (those who know me know that I am not really that likely to buy things right off the bat (so that is a large endorsement for me)). I would definitely recommend it to anyone that liked Love Letter, Avalon, or Coup.
  • Get Bit: It was pretty fun. I would try it again.
  • Walk the Plank: This game was very fun. I would definitely play it again. It has the ability to be moderately strategic, but you have to plan your moves in advance, and you are not able to modify your plans, and that adds a lot of lighthearted chaos to the game. Many were the times that I hurled my last pirate down to Davy Jones locker by not judging the situation correctly.
  • Eight Minute Empire: Legends: This game was not named correctly. It should be half-hour empire. It was quite a fun game anyway, but the name was wrong.
  • Pillars of the Earth: A decent worker selection game with new mechanics for placing your workers.
  • Belfort: A interesting worker placement game, but much longer than it needed to be. Perhaps you could end it in an hour if everyone knew what they were doing, but I doubt it.
  • Rampage: A fun and silly game based on the arcade game of the same name. Very simple. Very thematic.
  • Space Cadets: Dice Duel: A fun game. It is hectic because it is not turn based. The rules are clean and the play it fun. Though there are dice involved, the best working team is likely to win because the law of large numbers. A great party game (and I don't usually like party games).
  • Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men: It played smoothly, however the subject matter didn't really impress me.

Prototype Alley was pretty fun. I played a martial arts game that was pretty fun, and got some people to play Creative Accountants. I also attended a game design forum that ended up being moderately eye opening. Apparently I wasn't wasting my time making Polynesia look so good. Perhaps I will spend that amount of time on other games, but I will probably wait until they are more solid. Perhaps I need to work on Dancing Robots a bit more.

Finally, I got most of the following at the math trade:
I am very happy that I went.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skye Frontier

More Automatown and getting ready for SaltCon

Three more playtests